An Experiential Nature Connection and Mentoring Program designed for homeschool kids 6yrs – 16yrs, and their families!
The Woods is an evolving and dynamic expression of gratitude that honors a strong lineage of nature connected communities. We offer our thanks for indigenous cultures worldwide that are deep rooted in and continue to cultivate mentoring models for being in right relationship with people, place, and purpose. Our program is most directly informed and inspired by the art of nature awareness mentoring, “Coyote” teaching, and the 8 Shields model developed by Jon Young (founder of the Wilderness Awareness School and the 8 Shields Institute) and Tom Brown Jr. We offer our gratitude to them, as well as to all who have influenced them along their journey in meaningful ways, seen and unseen. As we integrate forward, we recognize and value the concentric circles of influence that connect us to our ancestors as well as to our future generations.
In The Woods, we engage heart and mind by optimizing the conditions that foster deep nature connection and an expansive sense of interconnectedness. Fire Tending serves as an over-arching metaphor that connects mentoring with hands-on skills, igniting curiosity, creativity, and confidence.
Inviting a spark, tending it, and encouraging its growth, is what fire tenders do. And when we apply those same practices to our relationships – as friends, as mentors, as stewards of the land – we create opportunities of awareness, to see and be seen, to dance within reciprocity. Pausing to reflect and connect invites us to feel the wild within us. The more we look, the more we see. And when we truly see one another, we open our hearts to compassion.
We view nature connection as an emotional-neurological experience that is created by weaving nature education (e.g. ecology, biology), skills-based activities (e.g. fire making, shelter building), and relational awareness (e.g. mentoring, tracking) into a story of the day. Thus, nature connection is a way of Being that enhances emotional intelligence, stimulates neurological pathways, and paves pathways to discover our individual and collective gifts and vision.
Specifically, The Woods cultivates regenerative practices and skills across 8 core focus areas:
Deep Nature Connection
(tap into intuitive ways of being, becoming, and belonging)
(elevate tracking of both internal and external landscapes)
(explore naturalist and nature craft)
(hone the art of questioning, activate all ways of knowing)
(engage your empathy, compassion, love)
(catch stories, weave threads of discovery)
(expand sensory awareness, invite quiet mind)
(bring hearts and minds together)
The Woods is a 2-day a week program held Monday & Thursday @ 11am – 3pm.
Current Cycle: 2020 Fall (9-10 weeks); We are currently exploring the possibility to begin either Monday, September 28th or Monday, October 5th with the last class held on Thursday, December 10th
* THANKSGIVING BREAK: No classes the week of November 23rd
* We are actively monitoring community spread of COVID-19 (case rate per 100,000 residents) as a key metric to inform our decision-making process on when to begin our Fall cycle.
* At this point in time, families who participated in The Woods this past year are a vital part of our community and will be offered the first opportunity to confirm a space. And, we anticipate that we will have some spaces available to welcome new families to join us, especially those with youth in the 10yr – 16yr age range.
* We are providing WEEKLY updates to all interested families every Thursday. If you wish to be added to our email list, please reach out to let us know! Please note that consideration of new families will be based both on the timing of your outreach to us as well as the ages of your kids (to best align with available slots, by age group).
* To foster safety and solidarity, we will have a maximum of 30 participants ages 6yr-16yr in the program
Location: Monmouth, OR – as guests on a 97 acre property, we promote an ethic of stewardship
- $TBD based on start date (option to pay in two installments)
- Family discounts offered:
- siblings 6yr+ @ 25% discount ($TBD)
- siblings 3yr-5r accompanied by an adult @ 50% discount ($TBD)
- In addition, we are able to offer a few partial scholarships.
To inquire about space or for more information, please Contact Us
In addition to co-creating an environment that nurtures teaching-learning across varying ages of kids, we warmly welcome and encourage parents to participate with desire to foster a vibrant village and whole community dynamic.